Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Adpated from South Your Mouth
- 3 lbs chicken breasts (preferrably with bone and skin)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1 (1 ounce) package taco seasoning
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can green chilies
- 60 inches flour tortillas
- 2 -3 cups shredded white American cheese (Land oÃ Lakes White American cheese)
- 2 cups whipping cream
- salsa or pico de gallo
- Poach the Chicken:.
- Place chicken in a large pot and cover by one inch with water. Add salt.
- Heat on medium-low heat, covered, until water begins to boil.
- Reduce heat to low and let chicken simmer (do not let water reach a full rolling boil) for about 10-15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken and set aside. Reserve cooking liquid for rice if desired.
- Make the Filling:.
- Sauté onion in olive oil until tender.
- Add cream cheese, taco seasoning and green chilies (with liquid) to onions.
- Reduce heat to low and stir until all ingredients are combined and cream cheese is melted.
- Remove skin and bones from chicken if applicable (I highly recommend using bonein breasts with skin any time you can as they are so much more flavorful and make a richer stock).
- Shred chicken with two forks and add to cream cheese mixture.
- Stir until thoroughly combined.
- Assemble Enchiladas:.
- Spray a 13x9 backing dish with cooking spray.
- Fill tortillas evenly with chicken mixture and roll into enchiladas.
- Place enchiladas in prepared baking dish, seam-side down.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese evenly over enchiladas. Pour whipping cream over cheese.
- Cover dish with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Remove aluminum foil and continue cooking for 10-15 minutes or until cheese has started to brown.
- Serve with salsa and/or pico de gallo.