These are beautiful when done. The cracked top with the "yolk" showing in the middle of the white. Inspirations include raspberricupcakes.com/2012/04/cheesecake-filled-chocolate-easter-eggs.html, http://onevanillabean.com/2012/04/08/white-chocolate-cheesecake-with-lemon-curd-in-chocolate-eggs/ and others.
- 8 hollow chocolate easter eggshells (approx 2.5 inches tall, store bought or homemade)
- 5 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 passion fruit (2 tsp of OJ, mango, peach nectar or some other juice)
- 1 tablespoon apricot jam (or lemon curd)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Using a small serrated knife, carefully remove the tops of the chocolate eggs. Heating the knife under warm water will make this easier and neater. I like jagged edges.
- Place the eggs in the fridge to keep them chilled while you prepare the cheesecake filling, you can use egg cups or your fridge egg holder (Don't use a cardboard egg carton).
- Place the cream cheese, icing sugar, lemon juice and vanilla in a large mixing bowl and beat on high until the mixture is smooth and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes.
- Set aside and carefully whip the cream in a separate mixing bowl to stiff peaks.
- Using a whisk, gently combine the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture until it is smooth.
- Carefully spoon or pipe the mixture into the prepared chocolate shells. Chill eggs for at least 30 minutes to allow it to set.
- Prepare the passionfruit sauce; strain passionfruit pulp to remove the seeds and place in a small saucepan with the apricot jam and butter.
- Gently heat on low, whisking until the butter melts and the mixture is smooth.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Place in the fridge and chill until it thickens slightly.
- Using a very small spoon, carefully scoop out a hole in the centre of each cheesecake, about 1/2 inch deep and wide.
- Fill hole with some of the chilled passionfruit sauce and return the eggs to the fridge to chill again for at least 30 minutes.
- Remove eggs from the fridge about 10 minutes before serving.
- Time does not include chilling time.