Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
Southern Living; family favorite
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 (2 ounce) envelope onion soup mix
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking oats, uncooked
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 lb cheddar cheese, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup chili sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a large mixing bowl; mix well.
- Pack half of meat mixture into a 9x5 inch loafpan.
- Place cheese slices on top of meat mixture.
- Spoon remaining meat mixture over cheese, covering cheese layer and pressing lightly on sides to seal; set aside.
- Combine chili sauce and mustard; mix well.
- Spread sauce over top of loaf.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 20 minutes.
My husband loves meatloaf, but it can't be *too* different. He actually liked this one better than my old recipe. I used shredded cheese, but it didn't hold the loaf together too well, so next time I'll use sliced.
I am always on a quest to find something the whole family will eat. This did the trick. We all thoroughly enjoyed this meat-loaf. It was moist but held together well. Very well seasoned and my kids thought the cheese in the middle was really cool. Thanks Nurse Di.
Oh yeah, this was a very, very good meatloaf. I used alternating cheese slices of cheddar and monterey jack. My kids thought the cheese in the middle was cool too. I thought the chili sauce on top was very zesty. We certainly had a nice home-cooked meal thanks to you and your meatloaf.