From Gourmet Magazine (April 2004). These are a bit time consuming but make a very different tasting Passover meal..
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/3 cups matzo meal
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil, plus additional oil for brushing skillet
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb medium asparagus
- 3 cups small curd cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1To make crepes: Blend milk, matzo meal, eggs, oil and salt in a blender until smooth.
- 2Let batter stand 30 minutes.
- 3Stir batter before using.
- 4Lightly brush a 10 inch skillet with oil and heat over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking.
- 5Holding skillet off heat, pour in 1/3 c.
- 6batter, tilting and rotating pan to coat bottom.
- 7Return skillet to heat and cook crepe until top is set and edge and bottom are golden, about one minute.
- 8Remove skillet from heat and loosen edge of crepe with a spatula.
- 9Release crepe onto a plate.
- 10Repeat until all the batter is gone.
- 11Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 12To make filling: cook asparagus in a wide 4 to 5 quart pot of boiling salted water, uncovered, until just tender (about 5 minutes).
- 13Transfer asparagus with a slotted spoon to a butting board to cool.
- 14Cut off and reserve tips, then finely chop stalks.
- 15Stir together cottage cheese, chopped stalks, dill, egg, pepper and salt.
- 16Assemble blintzes: Put 1 crepe, paler side up, and spread a scant 1/3 c.
- 17of filling in a horizontal line just below center of crepe, leaving a 3/4 inch border at each end.
- 18Fold in sides of crepe over ends of filling, then beginning at bottom, roll up to enclose filling.
- 19Transfer, seam side down, to a lightly buttered 15 by 10 inch shallow baking pan.
- 20Fill and transfer remaining crepes in same manner.
- 21Bake blintzes, covered with foil, until filling is hot, 30 to 35 minutes.
- 22Make topping just before blintzes are ready to serve: heat butter in a 10-12 inch skillet over moderate heat until foam subsides.
- 23Add scallions and cook, stirring until tender, about 5 minutes.
- 24Stir in asparagus tips, salt, and pepper and cook, stirring until aspargus is heated through, 1 to 2 minutes.
- 25Remove from heat and stir in dill.
- 26Spoon topping over blintzes.
Browse Our Top Eggs/Dairy Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Eggs/Dairy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheese Matzo Blintzes with Asparagus and Dill
Serving Size: 1 (2625 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 262.4
- Calories from Fat 136
- Total Fat 15.2 g
- Saturated Fat 6.5 g
- Cholesterol 113.8 mg
- Sodium 490.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 14.0 g