Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
From Gourmet Magazine (April 2004). These are a bit time consuming but make a very different tasting Passover meal..
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄3 cups matzo meal
- 4 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil, plus additional oil for brushing skillet
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb medium asparagus
- 3 cups small curd cottage cheese
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 bunches scallions, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- To make crepes: Blend milk, matzo meal, eggs, oil and salt in a blender until smooth.
- Let batter stand 30 minutes.
- Stir batter before using.
- Lightly brush a 10 inch skillet with oil and heat over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking.
- Holding skillet off heat, pour in 1/3 c.
- batter, tilting and rotating pan to coat bottom.
- Return skillet to heat and cook crepe until top is set and edge and bottom are golden, about one minute.
- Remove skillet from heat and loosen edge of crepe with a spatula.
- Release crepe onto a plate.
- Repeat until all the batter is gone.
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- To make filling: cook asparagus in a wide 4 to 5 quart pot of boiling salted water, uncovered, until just tender (about 5 minutes).
- Transfer asparagus with a slotted spoon to a butting board to cool.
- Cut off and reserve tips, then finely chop stalks.
- Stir together cottage cheese, chopped stalks, dill, egg, pepper and salt.
- Assemble blintzes: Put 1 crepe, paler side up, and spread a scant 1/3 c.
- of filling in a horizontal line just below center of crepe, leaving a 3/4 inch border at each end.
- Fold in sides of crepe over ends of filling, then beginning at bottom, roll up to enclose filling.
- Transfer, seam side down, to a lightly buttered 15 by 10 inch shallow baking pan.
- Fill and transfer remaining crepes in same manner.
- Bake blintzes, covered with foil, until filling is hot, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Make topping just before blintzes are ready to serve: heat butter in a 10-12 inch skillet over moderate heat until foam subsides.
- Add scallions and cook, stirring until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in asparagus tips, salt, and pepper and cook, stirring until aspargus is heated through, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in dill.
- Spoon topping over blintzes.