Classic Pink Peppermint Angel Food Cake
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
A pretty cake gleaned from Cooking Light magazine(April, 2004)! Great for holidays, dinner parties, and weekend gatherings.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar, divided
- 12 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red food coloring
- 1⁄2 cup crushed hard peppermint candy
- Preheat oven to 325ºF.
- To make cake, lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour and 3/4 cup sugar, stirring with a whisk.
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until foamy. Add cream of tartar and salt; beat until soft peaks form.
- Add 3/4 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Beat in vanilla, juice, almond extract, and red food coloring.
- Sift 1/4 cup flour mixture over egg white mixture; fold in and then repeat with remaining flour mixture, 1/4 cup at a time. Fold in crushed peppermint .
- Spoon the batter into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan, spreading evenly. Break air pockets by cutting through the batter with a knife. Bake at 325°F for 55 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched.
- Invert pan; cool completely. Loosen cake from sides of pan using a thin metal spatula. Invert the cake onto a plate.
- Serve and enjoy!
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
beautiful cake with lovely colour that baked out so very well, I had candy canes left over from last xmas, they were a little on the sticky side, I crushed them in my food processor and they worked well for this cake, I have made angel food cakes in the past adding in some peppermint extract in place of the almond and frosting with fluffy peppermint frosting, thanks Sharon!Reply