Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
A lovely scone to go with dinner.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1⁄3 cup butter, chilled and cut into 12 pieces
- 3⁄4 cup milk, room temperature
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 slices bacon, cooked, cooled and chopped into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon chives, finely chopped
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 400 °F
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper
- Make glaze by combining beaten egg with 1 tbsp milk. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and pepper.
- Cut butter into flour mixture using a pastry blender, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add the grated cheese, chopped cooked bacon and chives to the dry ingredients.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, add the milk, and stir gently with a wooden spoon, until mixture just forms a ball.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth.
- Roll or pat dough 1 inch thick and using a floured 2 1/2 inch cutter, cut out rounds.
- Place on the prepared baking pan and brush with glaze.
- Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of grated cheddar cheese on the top of each scone (if desired).
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes or until lightly browned on top and cheese has melted
- Cool on wire rack.
These were very good! I doubled the chives and used Colby-Jack with peppers to give it a little extra kick. Definitely a keeper!