Recipe by loof
From Country Home Magazine, a flavorful bread best served warm. Use fresh herbs if possible for a really awesome flavor...ETA...based on reviewer's experiences, shredding the cheese works well too!
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese (cut in 1/2-inch cubes OR shredded)
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced green onion
- 3 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped dill
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chopped thyme
- 1 teaspoon chopped rosemary
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, pepper, allspice and nutmeg in a large bowl.
- Stir in cheese, green onions, parsley, dill, thyme, and rosemary.
- In another bowl, combine eggs, buttermilk, and butter and blend well.
- Stir egg mixture into flour mixture just until moistened. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Spoon batter into a greased 8x4 inch loaf pan. Spread evenly.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes (toothpick inserted near center should come out clean). Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove bread from pan and cool 30 minutes more. Serve warm.
- Refrigerate leftovers.