Cheddar-Herb Beer Bread
photo by sofie-a-toast
- Ready In:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh herbs, chopped (we like dill and chives)
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, finely grated
- 12 ounces beer, cold works best
- 1 -2 tablespoon sunflower seeds (optional)
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees F. Coat the inside of a 9 by 5-inch loaf pan with the nonstick spray and set aside.
- Whisk together the all-purpose flour, wheat flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, and herbs in a large mixing bowl. Add in the cheese and stir in the beer just to combine. Spread the batter, which will form into a ball, evenly in the prepared pan. Sprinkle with the sunflower seeds, if using. (I moistened the top with beaten egg and we didn’t have sunflower seeds).
- Bake on the middle rack of the oven about 45 to 55 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Transfer the loaf to a cooling rack for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Serve warm.
- Option - 1) Rosemary-Feta.
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary and 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese.
- Option - 2) Italian.
- 1 teaspoon each dried basil and oregano.
- 2 minced cloves of garlic, and 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan.
Here are some more tasty things that can be add:
- 1 Tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary.
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh.
- 2 minced garlic cloves.
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives,.
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This smelled so wonderful while it was in the oven baking, the entire house felt so inviting. I went with the Italian option and used basil and oregano for the herbs (because we like those herbs), and I think it turned out to be the right choice. And for the beer, I used a dark beer, which I think made the bread just a little bitter. So next time, I'll use a pale beer. But it's a great bread recipe. Thanks, Debbwl. Made for 2014 Culinary Quest (Pacific Northwest).
This is always such a pleasure to make and enjoy! I used the Rosemary-Feta option, but also included all the original ingredients for a delicious and fragrant taste-treat. Cooked perfectly, I used fresh herbs from the garden, turned out beautifully. Oh, I sprinkled the top with grated cheese and butter! :) Thank you Debbwl, made for Culinary Quest, International Agents of QUEST
Made for Photo Tag, this bread is an easy-fix, versatile & a good choice for yeast-phobes who love the aroma & pleasure of homemade bread. I made the Italian option w/basil, oregano, garlic & Parmesan. I admit using extra garlic & also used 2 extra tbsp of beer as I felt the dough needed more moisture. I had an unexpected guest for dinner who tasted it warm from the oven & said: "I am getting a meatless pizza message here." My only recipe question was whether using the Parmesan option meant the Cheddar should be left out, which I chose to do. Thx for posting this recipe & for your patience. :-)