These muffins are fabulous eaten just baked warm out of the oven... great to serve warm with stew or soup or anything! They freeze well for up to 1 month, just warm before serving. Use a slightly heaping tablespoon of baking powder for this recipe. If you like heat add in 1 finely chopped jalapeno pepper. Prep time does not include cooking bacon.
- 7 slice bacon
- 236.59 ml old cheddar cheese, grated (grate about 2-3 tablespoons extra cheese on a fine grater to use for topping)
- 709.77 ml flour
- 29.58 ml sugar
- 14.79 ml baking powder (slightly heaping)
- 9.85 ml pepper
- 4.92 ml salt
- 236.59 ml milk or 236.59 ml half-and-half cream
- 118.29 ml vegetable oil
- 118.29 ml green onion, finely chopped
- 118.29 ml sour cream
- 2 eggs
- Set oven to 375 degrees.
- Set oven rack to second-lowest position.
- Grease 12 muffins tins or line with pappers.
- Cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp; drain and let cool, then crumble into small pieces (this can be done well in advance or even a day ahead).
- In a small bowl combine 2-3 tablespoons crumbled bacon and about 2-3 tablespoons cheddar cheese; set aside.
- In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and pepper.
- Stir in the remaining cheddar cheese and crumbled bacon; mix to combine.
- Whisk together, milk, oil, sour cream and eggs, then add/mix in green onions.
- Pour over the dry ingredients; stir JUST until moistened.
- Spoon into prepared muffin tins.
- Sprinkle with reserved bacon/cheese mixture on top of the batter.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until golden.