1/5 Photos of Charleston Shrimp and Grits
Classic South Carolina fare.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs medium shrimp, peeled, halved lengthwise, and deveined
- 1 lemon, juice of
- Tabasco sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 cups stone ground corn grits (not instant or quick-cooking)
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced scallion
- 2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 -2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1Combine shrimp with lemon juice and a couple of generous splashes of Tabasco sauce; let sit while you begin the grits and gravy.
- 2Make the grits: in a large heavy saucepan, bring 6 cups water and 1 teaspoon salt to a boil.
- 3Whisk in the grits a few handfuls at a time (they will bubble up initially).
- 4When you have added all the grits, decrease heat to a very low simmer and cook over low heat for 35-40 minutes, stirring occasionally at first and more frequently toward the end.
- 5While the grits simmer, start the gravy: fry bacon in a skillet over medium heat until brown but still limp; stir in the onion, green pepper, and garlic; continue cooking until onion and pepper are limp, about 5 minutes.
- 6Add in the scallions; sprinkle flour over the mixture; continue sautéing for 5 minutes longer.
- 7Stir in the stock and remaining salt; cook for 5 minutes longer; remove from the heat while you finish the grits.
- 8When the grits are thick and creamy, stir in as much of the butter as you wish, followed by the cheese.
- 9Add a splash of Tabasco sauce and more salt if desired.
- 10Cover the grits while you finish the gravy.
- 11Return the gravy to the heat and stir in the shrimp; cook until the shrimp are opaque throughout, about 5 minutes.
- 12Serve immediately mounding the grits in large shallow bowls or on plates and covering them with shrimp and gravy.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Charleston Shrimp and Grits
Serving Size: 1 (390 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 581.3
- Calories from Fat 191
- Total Fat 21.2 g
- Saturated Fat 10.2 g
- Cholesterol 262.1 mg
- Sodium 2202.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 38.5 g