Classic South Carolina fare.
Make and share this Charleston Shrimp and Grits recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs medium shrimp, peeled, halved lengthwise, and deveined
- 1 lemon, juice of
- Tabasco sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups stone ground corn grits (not instant or quick-cooking)
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced scallion
- 2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 -2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Combine shrimp with lemon juice and a couple of generous splashes of Tabasco sauce; let sit while you begin the grits and gravy.
- Make the grits: in a large heavy saucepan, bring 6 cups water and 1 teaspoon salt to a boil.
- Whisk in the grits a few handfuls at a time (they will bubble up initially).
- When you have added all the grits, decrease heat to a very low simmer and cook over low heat for 35-40 minutes, stirring occasionally at first and more frequently toward the end.
- While the grits simmer, start the gravy: fry bacon in a skillet over medium heat until brown but still limp; stir in the onion, green pepper, and garlic; continue cooking until onion and pepper are limp, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the scallions; sprinkle flour over the mixture; continue sautéing for 5 minutes longer.
- Stir in the stock and remaining salt; cook for 5 minutes longer; remove from the heat while you finish the grits.
- When the grits are thick and creamy, stir in as much of the butter as you wish, followed by the cheese.
- Add a splash of Tabasco sauce and more salt if desired.
- Cover the grits while you finish the gravy.
- Return the gravy to the heat and stir in the shrimp; cook until the shrimp are opaque throughout, about 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately mounding the grits in large shallow bowls or on plates and covering them with shrimp and gravy.
Oh yeah so good!! I didnt follow measurements but just used what i thought was enough to make a dinner for two and it came out awesome!! These ingredients are perfect!
It was a good thing I took a picture before my son tasted it, otherwise they're wouldn't have been a picture! What a great dish! Nice job!
The best shrimp and grits I have ever had.