1 hr 20 mins
Vino Girl's Note:
From Food & Wine November 2006 - credited to Mary Ellen Diaz.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons light olive oil, divided
- 2 leeks, white and pale green parts only, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 4 lbs cauliflower, cored and cut into 2-inch florets (about 2 heads)
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled cored and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 5 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 slice rye bread, crust removed and cut into 1/2-inch dice (1 cup)
- 1/2 cup pecan pieces
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1Preheat the oven to 350°.
- 2In a large, heavy pot, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- 3Add the leeks and garlic and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 5 minutes.
- 4Add the large cauliflower florets and the apple and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- 5Add the broth and thyme sprigs and bring to a boil.
- 6Cover and simmer over low heat for 45 minutes.
- 7Meanwhile, spread the diced rye bread, pecan pieces and tiny cauliflower florets on a large rimmed baking sheet.
- 8Drizzle with the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil and toss to coat.
- 9Season generously with salt and pepper and bake, stirring once, for about 10 minutes, or until the rye bread croutons are crisp.
- 10Discard the thyme sprigs from the soup.
- 11Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender.
- 12Return the soup to the pot and season with salt and pepper.
- 13Ladle into bowls, scatter the croutons, pecans and cauliflower on top and serve.
Browse Our Top Cauliflower Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cauliflower Soup With Pecans and Rye Croutons
Serving Size: 1 (625 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 283.3
- Calories from Fat 138
- Total Fat 15.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 204.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.8 g
- Sugars 11.7 g
- Protein 12.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh thyme sprigs