1 hr 20 mins
Vino Girl's Note:
From Food & Wine November 2006 - credited to Mary Ellen Diaz.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons light olive oil, divided
- 2 leeks, white and pale green parts only, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 4 lbs cauliflower, cored and cut into 2-inch florets (about 2 heads)
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled cored and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 5 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 slice rye bread, crust removed and cut into 1/2-inch dice (1 cup)
- 1/2 cup pecan pieces
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1Preheat the oven to 350°.
- 2In a large, heavy pot, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- 3Add the leeks and garlic and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 5 minutes.
- 4Add the large cauliflower florets and the apple and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- 5Add the broth and thyme sprigs and bring to a boil.
- 6Cover and simmer over low heat for 45 minutes.
- 7Meanwhile, spread the diced rye bread, pecan pieces and tiny cauliflower florets on a large rimmed baking sheet.
- 8Drizzle with the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil and toss to coat.
- 9Season generously with salt and pepper and bake, stirring once, for about 10 minutes, or until the rye bread croutons are crisp.
- 10Discard the thyme sprigs from the soup.
- 11Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender.
- 12Return the soup to the pot and season with salt and pepper.
- 13Ladle into bowls, scatter the croutons, pecans and cauliflower on top and serve.
Browse Our Top Cauliflower Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cauliflower Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cauliflower Soup With Pecans and Rye Croutons
Serving Size: 1 (625 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 283.3
- Calories from Fat 138
- Total Fat 15.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 204.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.8 g
- Sugars 11.7 g
- Protein 12.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh thyme sprigs