1 hr 20 mins
It won't go wrong, and it needs no accompaniment except for lots of crusty bread to mop up the plate! It is possible to substitute beef sausages, although I have never managed to make a successful vegetarian version.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 lb of good quality sausage
- 8 ounces finely chopped onions
- 8 ounces finely chopped carrots
- 14 ounces tomatoes
- 14 ounces of drained chickpeas
- 14 ounces of drained red kidney beans
- 12 fluid ounces beef stock
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- cornflour, for thickening
- 1Heat oil in medium heatproof casserole dish and then brown whole sausages for about 5 minutes.
- 2Remove sausages and and cut into bit size pieces.
- 3Lower heat to gently cook the onion and carrot until the onion is soft and transparent.
- 4Open cans and empty contents into the pot.
- 5Add stock, Tabasco and tomato paste.
- 6Bring to the boil, slam on the lid and transfer to the oven at 180 degrees centigrade for about an hour, generally speaking the longer you leave it in there the better the flavour, so go over time rather shorten it!
- 7Add cornflour to thicken it if necessary, it should be a rich tomato sauce, not watery.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cassic Spicy Sausage Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (422 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 741.0
- Calories from Fat 375
- Total Fat 41.6 g
- Saturated Fat 12.3 g
- Cholesterol 65.8 mg
- Sodium 1738.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.6 g
- Sugars 8.4 g
- Protein 30.3 g