Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
It won't go wrong, and it needs no accompaniment except for lots of crusty bread to mop up the plate! It is possible to substitute beef sausages, although I have never managed to make a successful vegetarian version.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 lb of good quality sausage
- 8 ounces finely chopped onions
- 8 ounces finely chopped carrots
- 14 ounces tomatoes
- 14 ounces of drained chickpeas
- 14 ounces of drained red kidney beans
- 12 fluid ounces beef stock
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- cornflour, for thickening
- Heat oil in medium heatproof casserole dish and then brown whole sausages for about 5 minutes.
- Remove sausages and and cut into bit size pieces.
- Lower heat to gently cook the onion and carrot until the onion is soft and transparent.
- Open cans and empty contents into the pot.
- Add stock, Tabasco and tomato paste.
- Bring to the boil, slam on the lid and transfer to the oven at 180 degrees centigrade for about an hour, generally speaking the longer you leave it in there the better the flavour, so go over time rather shorten it!
- Add cornflour to thicken it if necessary, it should be a rich tomato sauce, not watery.