Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Since making this recipe, I never order it out. This is so much better than any chicken cashew I have tried at a restaurant.
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 large green bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms, drained
- 1 cup dry-roasted cashews
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Mix broth, cornstarch, soy sauce, ginger and pepper sauce.
- Heat wok or large skillet.
- Add 1 tbsp of the oil and coat the surface.
- Add chicken and stir-fry till done.
- Remove chicken; set aside and keep warm.
- Add remaining 1 tbsp oil to wok or skillet.
- Add bell pepper, onion, water chestnuts and mushrooms; stir-fry 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add cornstarch mixture to vegetables.
- Cook and stir about 1 minute or until sauce thickens.
- Stir in chicken and cashew coating them with the sauce.
- Garnish with green onions.
- Serve with rice.
I agree this is a wonderful recipe -- quick prep, great taste and don't skimp on the cooked onion -- but it comes almost word for word from Betty Crocker's New Cookbook (1996). And canned mushrooms, who are we kidding? Give credit where it's due.
Tastes better than restaurant cashew chicken and way less greasy. I will be making this again. Thanks.
Very very good recipe, and so totally easy. I was pleasantly surprised by the ease of preparation and I couldn't believe how much this recipe yields. Lots of yummy leftovers which will be finished with a quickness. We were really impressed with the final result- the taste was truly splendid, and it was such an enjoyable meal. Loved it- thank you so much for sharing!