Asian Style Chicken & Cashew Cakes
photo by Kiwi Kathy
- Ready In:
- 500 g ground chicken
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 125 g cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup roasted salted cashews, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup basil, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup coriander, chopped
- 1 large lemon, finely grated rind of
- plain flour, for rolling
- oil, for shallow frying
DIPPING SAUCE INGREDIENTS
- 1⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sweet chili sauce
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped cashews, extra
- 1 bird's eye chili, sliced
- 15 basil leaves, extra
- Combine the chicken mince, onion, cream cheese, cashews, herbs and lemon rind. Roll 2 tablespoons of the chicken mixture into a ball, then flatten slightly. Toss through flour until coated, shake off excess.
- Heat the oil in a large non–stick frypan. Cook the cakes over medium heat for 6–8 minutes or until cooked through and golden brown. Drain and keep warm.
To make dipping sauce:
- Combine vinegar, water, sugar, sweet chilli sauce, fish sauce, cashews and chilli in a saucepan and cook for 3–5 minutes until sugar is dissolved and sauce has thickened slightly. Place each chicken cake on a basil leaf and serve with dipping sauce.
- HERE IS A HANDY TIP: Use wet hands when rolling the chicken mixture to prevent sticking.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Yassss. These are great. Great flavour, cooked on the BBQ and served with tomato, cucumber and mint salad. Only change I made was to roll the cakes in dried breadcrumbs rather than flour. I wondered how the cream cheese would impact on the taste, but it was not readily apparent. Probably due to the coriander and basil flavours shining through. Made for Aussie / Kiwi Swap Jan 2013.