Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
We love these muffins for a quick breakfast with our coffee.(leave topping off and freeze). from Canadian Living magazine
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons toasted wheat germ
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 (125 g) package cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar
- In large bowl, stir together all purpose flour, carrots, whole wheat flour, raisins, sugar, wheat germ, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- In a separate bowl, stir together milk, molasses, butter and egg.
- Pour over dry ingredients and stir just until moistened.
- Spoon into 10 greased or paper lined muffin cups, filling three quarters full.
- Bake in centre of 375 degree oven for about 20 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly pressed.
- Let cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- Remove to rack and let cool completely.
- In small bowl, beat cream cheese with sugar until fluffy, spread over cooled muffins.
I loved the fact that I could throw this all together so quickly and the muffins baked up in just 20 minutes. I did find it took me a bit longer to prepare the recipe than the indicated 10 minutes (I'd allow closer to 15 minutes) but that wasn't a problem because they were so yummy I didn't mind! Not too sweet and a nice combination of spices. I made them without the icing.
I am so glad I tried this recipe. I've been looking for a carrot muffin recipe with less sugar and fat (I also subbed canola oil for butter) and nutritional extras like wheat germ and whole grain flour. The muffins turned out great: moist, sweet, flavorful. They will be a lunchbox staple and morning treat for the whole household. Thanks and good job, Derf!
Lovely! I got to the point where I was ready to add the final ingredient and realized I was out of molasses! So I used honey with great success. I left off the topping and made these all as mini muffins to take to my nephew's first communion party. These were enjoyed by everyone. Thanks.