Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I haven't made this particular recipe yet, but I have had this cake before and it's super moist and delicious...needless to say I look forward to trying this recipe out soon! I got this from Food Network's The Barefoot Contessa. **UPDATE** I made the cake, and it is DEElicious, however I had way too much frosting, and the calories were outrageous. I have amended the recipe to use only half the amount of frosting. If you'd like the original amount, just double it.
For the cake
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄3 cups vegetable oil
- 3 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour, plus
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 lb carrot, grated
- 1⁄2 cup diced fresh pineapple
For the frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1⁄4 lb unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 lb confectioners' sugar, sifted
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter 2 (8-inch) round cake pans. Line with parchment paper, then butter and flour the pans.
- Whisk the sugar, oil, and eggs together until the color changes to light yellow.
- Add the vanilla.
- In another bowl, sift together 2 1/2 cups flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.
- Toss the raisins and walnuts with 1 tablespoon flour to keep them from sinking to the bottom of the pan during baking. Add to the batter and mix well.
- Fold in the carrots and pineapple.
- Pour the batter equally into the 2 pans. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow the cakes to cool in the pans on a wire rack.
- Whisk the cream cheese, butter and vanilla until combined. Add the sugar and mix until smooth.
- Once cooled, remove the cakes from the pans and peel the parchment paper off of them.
- Place the first cake layer on a cake pedestal. With a spatula, spread the top with frosting. Place the second layer on top and spread the frosting evenly on the top and sides of the cake.