Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I haven't made this particular recipe yet, but I have had this cake before and it's super moist and delicious...needless to say I look forward to trying this recipe out soon! I got this from Food Network's The Barefoot Contessa. **UPDATE** I made the cake, and it is DEElicious, however I had way too much frosting, and the calories were outrageous. I have amended the recipe to use only half the amount of frosting. If you'd like the original amount, just double it.
For the cake
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄3 cups vegetable oil
- 3 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour, plus
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 lb carrot, grated
- 1⁄2 cup diced fresh pineapple
For the frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1⁄4 lb unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 lb confectioners' sugar, sifted
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter 2 (8-inch) round cake pans. Line with parchment paper, then butter and flour the pans.
- Whisk the sugar, oil, and eggs together until the color changes to light yellow.
- Add the vanilla.
- In another bowl, sift together 2 1/2 cups flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.
- Toss the raisins and walnuts with 1 tablespoon flour to keep them from sinking to the bottom of the pan during baking. Add to the batter and mix well.
- Fold in the carrots and pineapple.
- Pour the batter equally into the 2 pans. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow the cakes to cool in the pans on a wire rack.
- Whisk the cream cheese, butter and vanilla until combined. Add the sugar and mix until smooth.
- Once cooled, remove the cakes from the pans and peel the parchment paper off of them.
- Place the first cake layer on a cake pedestal. With a spatula, spread the top with frosting. Place the second layer on top and spread the frosting evenly on the top and sides of the cake.
Very moist and delicious. I recommend to always use fresh pineapple, it really makes a difference.
Out of this world. I couldn't believe how delicious this was. Made it today. Only thing changed was I didn't add nuts. I added coconut, 3/4 cup. It is up to you. The icing is to die for. I made it in a heart shaped (with flowers nordicware bundt pan. I still did 350, but kept it in a little longer than an hour. Keep checking. This particular nordicware pan holds 10 cups. Nice thick coat of fabulous icing. Used fresh pineapple chunks and cut them up and placed in a nice design on icing and sprinkled coconut in center. Impressive. Loved it and so did my friend. Yum.