1/1 Photo of Carrabba's Mama Mandola's Chicken Soup
1 hr 30 mins
#1 Baker's Note:
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 celery ribs
- 4 medium carrots, peeled
- 1 large yellow onion
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled
- 1 large green bell pepper
- 1 (14 ounce) can Italian plum tomatoes
- 1 (5 lb) hen, washed and cut into 8 pieces
- 1/2 cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 6 quarts water
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1Dice celery, carrots, onion, potatoes and bell pepper into 1/4-inch pieces. Chop tomatoes; reserve all juice.
- 2Place vegetables, tomatoes with their juice, chicken pieces, parsley and garlic in a 10-quart stockpot. Add water. Season with salt and pepper.
- 3Slowly bring soup to a boil over low heat. Skim off foam that rises to the surface; may have to skim 2 or 3 times.
- 4Partially cover pot and simmer 2 hours. When soup is finished, remove chicken pieces with a slotted spoon.
- 5Let cool.Meanwhile, mash vegetables in the bottom of the pot with the back side of a large cooking spoon or a potato masher.
- 6When chicken has cooled enough to handle, remove skin and bones and return meat to soup.
- 7Notes: Soup is best served the day after it is made. Refrigerate and remove fat that solidifies on the surface of the soup.
- 8Serve soup with rice or small, stubby pasta such as pastina, tubetti or small elbow macaroni. For better flavor, cook the rice or pasta in the soup when reheating. Add freshly grated Parmesan or Romano cheese, if desired.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Carrabba's Mama Mandola's Chicken Soup
Serving Size: 1 (1196 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 864.0
- Calories from Fat 481
- Total Fat 53.5 g
- Saturated Fat 14.8 g
- Cholesterol 382.1 mg
- Sodium 326.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 6.6 g
- Protein 68.2 g