Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
From: http://www.welcome-dominican-republic.com According to the website "The most popular Dominican meat dish on the island"
- 2 lbs beef round steak, cut into 1-2 inch cubes
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, leave finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 beef bouillon cube, Maggi
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup water
- - dissolve the beef bouillon cube (Maggi) in about 3 tbs of hot water.
- - dissolve the tomato paste in about 1/2 cup of hot water.
- - marinate the beef cubes for at least 3 hours in the following:.
- -- garlic, grated onion, oregano, cilantro, parsley, dissolved beef cube and tomato paste.
- - remove beef pieces, save marinade for later use.
- - heat oil to high temperature (around 425 degrees F) and brown beef cubes on all sides.
- - reduce oil temperature to medium and add the carrot, celery, bay leaf and green bell pepper and cook for about 3 minutes.
- - add the reserved marinade.
- - cover and simmer for 20 minutes.stir frequently.
- - Add the rest of the water and taste for salt and pepper and adjust if needed.
- - Continue to simmer for 30 minutes longer. (beef cubes should be very tender).
- - serve it hot with boiled white rice.
My husband and family loved this stew! The fresh herbs, especially the cilantro, make it just a little out of the ordinary.. I did not add the last 1/2 cup water because there was plenty of sauce without it. The recipe was easy and turned out perfectly. <br/><br/>Made for PAC 2013 Spring Safari.