Recipe by Razzlledazzlle
From: http://www.welcome-dominican-republic.com According to the website "The most popular Dominican meat dish on the island"
Top Review by DinnerBelle
My husband and family loved this stew! The fresh herbs, especially the cilantro, make it just a little out of the ordinary.. I did not add the last 1/2 cup water because there was plenty of sauce without it. The recipe was easy and turned out perfectly. <br/><br/>Made for PAC 2013 Spring Safari.
- 2 lbs beef round steak, cut into 1-2 inch cubes
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, leave finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 beef bouillon cube, Maggi
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- - dissolve the beef bouillon cube (Maggi) in about 3 tbs of hot water.
- - dissolve the tomato paste in about 1/2 cup of hot water.
- - marinate the beef cubes for at least 3 hours in the following:.
- -- garlic, grated onion, oregano, cilantro, parsley, dissolved beef cube and tomato paste.
- - remove beef pieces, save marinade for later use.
- - heat oil to high temperature (around 425 degrees F) and brown beef cubes on all sides.
- - reduce oil temperature to medium and add the carrot, celery, bay leaf and green bell pepper and cook for about 3 minutes.
- - add the reserved marinade.
- - cover and simmer for 20 minutes.stir frequently.
- - Add the rest of the water and taste for salt and pepper and adjust if needed.
- - Continue to simmer for 30 minutes longer. (beef cubes should be very tender).
- - serve it hot with boiled white rice.