Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 49 mins
Great Mexican food
- 6 garlic cloves
- 16 dried guajillo chilies, stemmed and seeded
- 6 tomatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 48 ounces sirloin steaks
- 3 onions, cut into thick slices
- Roast garlic on one side of an ungreased skillet over medium heat, turning occasionally until soft, about 15 minutes. In same pan lightly toast chiles, a few at a time. In a small bowl, cover the chiles with hot water for 30 minutes.
- Discard water and blend chiles, garlic, and tomatoes to a puree in blender. Press through strainer into heavy pot. Add 1 T oil and simmer over medium heat until sauce reduces to a thick paste. Stir in beef broth, and simmer over medium heat, for 30 to 45 minutes. Season to taste with salt and sugar.
- Pound steaks to tenderize. To marinate steaks, mix 1/4 cup of sauce with vinegar and 1/2 tsp salt. Coat steaks and refrigerate for 30 mnutes.
- Grill steaks to medium rare. Toss onion slices with 1 T oil and grill until lightly brown.