Recipe by Ridgely
Easy weeknight meal of red beans and rice. The coconut milk and jalapeno give it the flavor you will crave. This recipe is an Art Smith recipe. My family voted it a definite keeper!
Top Review by MemphisCooks!
I don't know what happened to my first review that I submitted...This was a great recipe. I looked at several online and this was the first one I saw that combined coconut milk and broth. Super easy to make and throw together, very filling, good flavors all around. I diced a large onion and didn't use all of it in this recipe, so I made some pico de gallo for later. Just for kicks I tried some with this dish and it was awesome! The fresh lime juice and tomatoes, and the crunch of the raw onions blended with the warm, dense savory flavor of the red beans and rice in the best way. Very happy to eat left overs today!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 cups basmati rice, uncooked
- 1 (15 ounce) can red beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1⁄2 cups coconut milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepot, over medium-high heat, add the olive oil and onion and cook until soft, then add the jalapeno pepper.
- Add the rice and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the beans, coconut milk and chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, and add the thyme and salt and pepper.
- Cook until the broth and coconut milk are reduced, about 25 minutes.