Recipe by alligirl
Taken from SAVEUR .com and posted for ZWT. "SAVEUR kitchen assistant Victoria Ross makes these glazed shortbreads, which get their spicy kick from ground cardamom and ginger, for afternoon tea in her native New Zealand."
Top Review by Miss Fannie
Oh my goodness, these bars were awesome! The ginger and cardamom added a delightful flavor. The aroma during preparation made my home smell as wonderful as this dessert tasted. I will make this dessert again.
- 2 cups unsalted butter, softened (plus more for greasing)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 cups flour, sifted
- 11 teaspoons ground ginger
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons golden syrup (or dark corn syrup)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 375°. Grease a 9" x 13" baking dish; set aside.
- Put 18 tablespoons butter and sugar in a large bowl; beat with a handheld mixer on medium until fluffy.
- Add flour, 3 teaspoons ginger, 1 teaspoons ground cardamom, baking powder, and 1 teaspoons salt; mix until incorporated but still crumbly.
- Transfer mixture to reserved dish; press flat with your hands.
- Bake until shortbread is golden brown, about 20 minutes. Let cool.
- In a 1-qt. saucepan over medium heat, combine remaining butter, ginger, cardamom, and salt and the confectioners' sugar and syrup.
- Bring to a boil and pour over shortbread; cool.
- Cut into 2" rectangles.