Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
Recipe by Monica Bhide. Saveur April 2010.
- 1 1⁄2 cups plain yogurt, plus more for garnish
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kashmiri chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 12 green cardamom pods, crushed
- 2 lbs skinless chicken thighs, and legs (bone-in)
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 8 whole black peppercorns
- 3 pods black cardamom pods
- 1 stick cinnamon (2 inch)
- 2 small yellow onions, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 serrano chilies, stemmed, seeded, and minced
- 1 ginger, peeled and minced, plus more julienned for garnish (1 inch piece)
- 3 tablespoons roughly chopped cilantro, for garnish
- 4 cups cooked rice, for serving
- 1. Combine yogurt, chile powder, turmeric, salt, and 8 pods green cardamom in a large bowl; add chicken, mix, and cover bowl with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to overnight.
- 2. Heat oil in a 6-qt. pot over high heat. Add remaining green cardamom along with peppercorns, black cardamom, and cinnamon; cook until fragrant, 1–2 minutes. Add onions, garlic, chiles, and ginger; cook, stirring and adding a few tablespoons of water as needed, until onions are browned, 12–15 minutes. Add chicken and marinade; cook, flipping chicken occasionally, until most of liquid has evaporated, 20–30 minutes. Add 1⁄3 cup water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring, until sauce has thickened, 6–8 minutes. Season with salt and garnish with ginger, cilantro, and yogurt; serve with rice.