Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Cardamom is a wonderful spice to flavour both sweet & savoury dishes - but a little goes a long way! This recipe comes from Christine Cushing, one of my favourite Toronto chefs.
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, with skin,chopped coarsely
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sour cream
- FILLING: In a medium bowl, mix together almonds, sugar, flour and cardamom and melted butter with a fork or your fingertips.
- CAKE: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and baking soda and set aside.
- Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time and beating well between additions.
- Beat in vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients in thirds to the creamed butter mixture, alternating with the sour cream, beating in between additions and ending with dry ingredients.
- Scrape down the sides and beat for 1 minute to develop structure of cake.
- Line an 8-inch springform pan with parchment paper and grease sides.
- Pour half of the batter into the pan and sprinkle half of the almond mixture over the cake.
- Pour the remaining batter into the pan, spreading it out if necessary.
- Top with the remaining almond mixture.
- Bake on the middle rack of oven for 50 to 60 minutes.
- Cake is done when a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Leave cake in pan and cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes.
- Remove from pan and cool completely.
This is an excellent recipe! I have made it twice, once as specified, and the next time, I used white instead of brown sugar, yogurt instead of sour cream, omitted the filling and added the cardamom to the batter .. both were great, and I will be making this often! my husband loved it .. it freezes very well, we enjoyed it for days afterwards .. thanks for posting such a wonderful recipe!