1 hr 20 mins
Cardamom is a wonderful spice to flavour both sweet & savoury dishes - but a little goes a long way! This recipe comes from Christine Cushing, one of my favourite Toronto chefs.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup almonds, with skin,chopped coarsely
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1FILLING: In a medium bowl, mix together almonds, sugar, flour and cardamom and melted butter with a fork or your fingertips.
- 2CAKE: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 3Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and baking soda and set aside.
- 4Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- 5Add the eggs, one at a time and beating well between additions.
- 6Beat in vanilla.
- 7Add the dry ingredients in thirds to the creamed butter mixture, alternating with the sour cream, beating in between additions and ending with dry ingredients.
- 8Scrape down the sides and beat for 1 minute to develop structure of cake.
- 9Line an 8-inch springform pan with parchment paper and grease sides.
- 10Pour half of the batter into the pan and sprinkle half of the almond mixture over the cake.
- 11Pour the remaining batter into the pan, spreading it out if necessary.
- 12Top with the remaining almond mixture.
- 13Bake on the middle rack of oven for 50 to 60 minutes.
- 14Cake is done when a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 15Leave cake in pan and cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes.
- 16Remove from pan and cool completely.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cardamom & Almond Coffee Cake
Serving Size: 1 (101 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 495.7
- Calories from Fat 284
- Total Fat 31.6 g
- Saturated Fat 17.4 g
- Cholesterol 110.3 mg
- Sodium 315.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 25.7 g
- Protein 6.5 g