1/8 Photos of Caramelized Onion Mashed Potatoes
1 hr 20 mins
I like potatoes that have add-ins so you do not have to smother in gravy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1/4 lbs onions, chopped (about 7 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1Heat butter and olive oil in a large skillt over medium heat until butter is melted.
- 2Add onions; stir to coat with butter/oil.
- 3Cover and cook 10 miutes or until onions have wilted; stirring occasionally.
- 4Remove cover, increase heat to medium-high.
- 5Sprinkle with sugar; stir to combine.
- 6Cook 25-30 minutes or until onions are deep golden brown, stirring frequently
- 7If necessary, reduce heat to medium to keep onions from sticking.
- 8Stir in 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper.
- 9*Onions can be made 3 days ahead and refrigerated or 1 month ahead and frozen*.
- 10Place potatoes in large saucepan; add enough water to cover potatoes by 1 inch.
- 11Add 2 tsp of the salt.
- 12Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- 13Reduce heat to medium-low to low; simmer 12 minutes or until potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork; drain.
- 14Return to saucepan; cover to keep warm.
- 15Microwave milk and 2 Tbs butter for 30-60 seconds or until butter is melted and milk is hot.
- 16Reheat caramelized onions over medium heat until hot.
- 17Press potatoes through potato ricer into medium bowl or mash with potato masher.
- 18Stir in milk/butter until potatoes are creamy.
- 19Stir in caramelized onions, remaining 1 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caramelized Onion Mashed Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (313 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 278.4
- Calories from Fat 95
- Total Fat 10.6 g
- Saturated Fat 4.6 g
- Cholesterol 16.8 mg
- Sodium 836.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 6.7 g
- Protein 5.3 g