Creamy Bacon and Onion Mashed Potatoes
I found this recipe on the All Recipes site and knew right away that our family would love it. We all did and now it is one of the favorites in my "keeper" file. Granted, it is high in fat content and calories but is oh-so-good for the occasional splurge -- we usually have it with grilled chicken and a steamed vegetable.
- Ready In:
- 5 lbs potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 1 lb sliced bacon
- 2 quarts buttermilk, approximately (or if you prefer, you can substitute 1 quart buttermilk and 1 quart whole milk)
- Place potatoes into a large pot and fill with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook until tender, about 8-10 minutes, depending on the size of the potato cubes.
- Meanwhile, fry bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat until evenly browned and crisp. Remove bacon from the skillet to drain on paper towels.
- Add the onions to the bacon grease in the skillet and fry until tender, stirring often. Drain excess grease.
- When the potatoes are done, drain the water out of pot and mash. Mix in the buttermilk (or the buttermilk/whole milk combination) until you get your desired consistency.
- Crumble in the bacon and stir in the onions. You can also stir in between 1-2 tablespoons of the bacon grease if you like. Mix together and serve.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
We loved this home comfort dish. It was amazing. Quick and easy to make with simple ingredients. What a great dish the flavor was outstanding. I used sweet vidalia onions, they were pefect with the potatoes and pork. The potatoes were full of flavor and textures, sweet, salty and creamy. I did season with sea salt and fresh ground black pepper. Thanks for sharing another tasty dish Taste Tester. :)