Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
A condiment that goes well with bread and cheese. It also complements roasted meats, such as pork, ham, and turkey.
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 14.79 ml butter
- 2 large onions, diced
- 44.37 ml cider vinegar
- 29.58 ml sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 14.79 ml fresh thyme
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- In a large saucepan, heat oil and butter over medium heat.
- Stir in onions, vinegar, sugar, bay leaf, and thyme.
- Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Remove lid, increase heat to medium high and cook until golden brown, stirring often, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and let cool to room temperature.
I made this almost exact same recipe from a foodie friend, except his had no bay leaf. His recipe also had 1 tbls of dark rum. It is to die for! Whenever I serve this the bowl is literally licked clean! I serve this with crackers! i added my photo.