This is from Madhur Jaffrey's Quick and Easy Indian Cooking. This dessert has nice textures and flavors, but as written, is not particularly sweet. You could try adding some sugar to the whipped cream topping if you like it sweeter.
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted pistachios, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 lb unsalted butter
- 4 medium tart apples
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons blanched slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- Whip the cream lightly in a bowl till it just holds its shape, but is not stiff at all.
- Fold half of the pistachio nuts into the cream, cover and refrigerate.
- Melt the butter over low heat in a large nonstick skillet. Take the pan off the heat.
- Peel, core and slice the apples thinly, dropping the slices into the butter as you cut them.
- Fold them into the butter as you go so that they do not discolor. (If you like, you could keep the pan over very low heat as you do this.).
- Add the cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, sugar, almonds and walnuts.
- Cook on medium heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring gently as you do so.
- Turn the heat to high; cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring very gently now and then, till apples have caramelized lightly.
- Serve on individual plates with a dollop of cream partially on, partially off the apples.
- Sprinkle remaining pistachios over the cream.