I couldn't resist this, it looks so appealing and so good. I found this online at joycesfinecooking.com. Allow time for setting which is 30 minutes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 challah or 1 egg bread, sliced into 1/2-inch slices and toasted
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups 18% cream
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or 1 vanilla bean, scraped
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/4 cup butter or 1/4 cup margarine
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 4 medium ripe bananas, sliced
- 2 tablespoons rum
CHOCOLATE RUM SAUCE
- 1BREAD PUDDING:.
- 2Preheat oven to 325°F.
- 3Brush 5 slices with butter and set aside.
- 4Break remaining bread up into bite size pieces.
- 5Brush a 10"x12-1/2" baking dish with butter.
- 6Combine eggs, milk, cream, sugar and spices in medium bowl.
- 7Whisk to combine and set aside.
- 8In a large skillet, heat butter or margarine and add sugar.
- 9Cook for 2-3 minutes, until golden caramel forms.
- 10Add the banana slices and toss over high heat for 2 minutes or until just soft and golden.
- 11Add rum remove from heat and cool.
- 12Arrange broken bread in baking dish and spoon bananas on top.
- 13Cover with buttered bread slices, in a single layer, and pour egg mixture over top.
- 14Press bread down evenly and let stand for 30 minutes.
- 15Bake for 35-45 minutes or until puffed and golden, but custard is still moist in center.
- 16CHOCOLATE RUM SAUCE:.
- 17Combine all ingredients in a medium stainless bowl and place over simmering water until chocolate melts.
- 18Bottom of bowl should not be touching the water.
- 19Stir until smooth and serve warm with pudding.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caramelized Banana Rum Bread Pudding & Chocolate Rum Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (295 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 511.2
- Calories from Fat 303
- Total Fat 33.6 g
- Saturated Fat 19.9 g
- Cholesterol 238.0 mg
- Sodium 207.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 31.3 g
- Protein 9.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: