Recipe by Manami
I couldn't resist this, it looks so appealing and so good. I found this online at joycesfinecooking.com. Allow time for setting which is 30 minutes.
Top Review by Donalda
Delicious, Decadent and Moist! I made this last night to have for Christmas day since bread pudding always seems to better the second day. I must confess that last night I was too tired to make the sauce which I have done and amended slightly today. I tried to find semi sweet chocolate but there was none available (I live in Jamaica) so I used Jamaican chocolate balls and had to add a few other things like egg yolk to get to where it needed to make a sauce, and I added a touch of Cointreau but my husband and I, who sampled the pudding last night sans sauce can hardly wait for the dessert portion of Christmas dinner.
OK, I don't know if it was because I couldn't get real semi sweet chocolate or what but the third night we had the bread pudding I finally found the perfect sauce (IMHO) which was a banana foster sauce (also posted on this website), since it also had bananas and rum in it, it was just an extension of the delicious flavours...oh and I also added raisins to the bread pudding when I added the rum.
- 1 challah or 1 egg bread, sliced into 1/2-inch slices and toasted
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups 18% cream
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or 1 vanilla bean, scraped
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 4 medium ripe bananas, sliced
- 2 tablespoons rum
CHOCOLATE RUM SAUCE
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons dark rum
Directions See How It's Made
- BREAD PUDDING:.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Brush 5 slices with butter and set aside.
- Break remaining bread up into bite size pieces.
- Brush a 10"x12-1/2" baking dish with butter.
- Combine eggs, milk, cream, sugar and spices in medium bowl.
- Whisk to combine and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat butter or margarine and add sugar.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes, until golden caramel forms.
- Add the banana slices and toss over high heat for 2 minutes or until just soft and golden.
- Add rum remove from heat and cool.
- Arrange broken bread in baking dish and spoon bananas on top.
- Cover with buttered bread slices, in a single layer, and pour egg mixture over top.
- Press bread down evenly and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until puffed and golden, but custard is still moist in center.
- CHOCOLATE RUM SAUCE:.
- Combine all ingredients in a medium stainless bowl and place over simmering water until chocolate melts.
- Bottom of bowl should not be touching the water.
- Stir until smooth and serve warm with pudding.