Recipe by Derf
This is a wonderful custard from Portugal. Great company dessert. (The wine and food of Europe - Marc & Kim Millon)
Top Review by Graybert
Yummy!! Being of Portuguese heritage, I try almost all the portuguese recipes on this web site! This is very, very close to the type of pudding you would order in Portugal. I did add a whiskey glaze over my finished custard - a Portugues tradition. Very tasty! The cooking time is perfect, as the custards come out well - not dry or undercooked. Thanks for the great recipe!!
- 6 teaspoons soft brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 6 eggs
- 3 3⁄4 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons coffee extract or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons strong coffee
Directions See How It's Made
- Put a heaped teaspoon of brown sugar into 6 individual ramekins.
- In a large bowl, beat sugar and eggs together until yellow and frothy.
- Bring milk to boil, gradually add it to the egg mixture, beating constantly.
- Add coffee essence.
- Pour this mixture into ramekins, place in roasting pan.
- Add enough water to come half way up the sides of the ramekins.
- Bake in a moderate oven, 350 degrees until just set, about 45 minutes.
- To test, stick a skewer into the custard, if it comes out clean, the custard is done.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.