Recipe by Charishma_Ramchandani
This style of Mexican Caramel Custard is just perfect to end the lovely meal on Cinco De Mayo's Day May 5th . Give it a try!
Top Review by mianbao
This makes the kind of custard I used to make for my kids. It is real comfort food, and I enjoyed eating it. One problem with the recipe is that Steps 2, 4 and 13 are confusing. I decided on my own to use the 1 tablespoon water to make the caramel and not to mix any water into the milk. I used 1/3 cup sugar for the caramel and 1/3 cup sugar to mix with the milk. I thought it was sweet enough. I think the eggs could be cut back by 1 or 2 to make a more delicate custard that could still be unmolded, but the custard was fine as is, too. The other big problem is that the flavors of the spices did not transfer to the pudding. This came as a surprise, but merely mixing the spices with the milk and then heating it did not result in spicy milk. I divided the mixture into individual ramkins, and coated them lightly with salad oil to aid in unmolding.
- 6 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 cups milk
- 3 inches cinnamon sticks
- 2 green cardamoms, crushed
- 3 cloves, whole
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine cloves, cardamoms and cinnamon in a muslin cloth.
- Place in a pan with milk and water.
- Keep aside.
- In a small heavy bottom pan, mix water and sugar.
- Stir gently until the sugar dissolves.
- Place pan over high heat.
- Cook till it is medium-amber in colour.
- Immediately pour caramel into a 9" souffle dish.
- Tilt and swirl dish to evenly coat the bottom and halfway up side.
- Set aside.
- Heat milk and spices until steaming hot; remove and let it cool slightly.
- Discard the spices.
- In another bowl, beat eggs and remaining 1/3 cup sugar.
- Gradually add the milk, blending with a fork.
- Pour egg mixture into the prepared souffle dish.
- Place the dish into a large baking pan which is at least 2" deep.
- Place in a pre-heated oven at 250 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add enough boiling water to larger pan to come half way up the sides of the souffle dish.
- Bake uncovered for 15-20 minutes or till set.
- Remove the dish from hot water, cover and refrigerate for at least 5 hours.
- Unmold and serve.