Prep 1 hr 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
A State Fair of Texas winning recipe made with toffee pieces.
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into bits (12 tablespoons)
- 4 tablespoons cold vegetable shortening
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 -8 tablespoons ice water
- 6 cups granny smith apples
- 3⁄4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Caramel Streusel Topping
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup toffee pieces
- In a bowl with a pastry blender or in a food processor blend or pulse together flour, butter, shortening and salt until mixture resembles meal.
- Add 2 tablespoons ice water and toss or pulse until water is incorporated. If necessary add enough of remaining ice water to form a dough and form dough into 2 disks. Lightly dust dough with flour and chill, wrapped in wax paper, 1 hour. Roll one of the disks large enough to fit a 9 in deep dish pie plate.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Roll crust and place in pie plate. Refrigerate until ready to fill.
- Peel, core, and slice apples. Sprinkle with lemon juice and toss to coat.
- Combine dry ingredients in large bowl and add apples. Toss to mix. Add vanilla and heavy cream.
- Melt butter in a heavy skillet. Add apple mixture and cook approximately 2 minutes, to slightly melt the brown sugar. Let cool slightly. Turn into pie shell.
- Streusel Topping: Combine the flour and sugar. Mix in butter with fork until coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over pie. Sprinkle toffee pieces on top. Add top crust and vent top. Brush with beaten egg white and sprinkle with sugar.
- Cover with foil. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees F, remove foil and bake 45 minutes longer.