Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
A quick, healthy salad with lots of flavor and crunch...and endless possible variations! (Adapted from the salad my family ate when I was growing up in San Diego--plus all of the salad bars I've been to ever since.) Note: Optional items not included in preparation time.
- 4 cups lettuce leaves, chopped (red leaf or romaine)
- 1 tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 cucumber, chopped
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 2 green onions, sliced diagonally
- 10 radishes, quartered
- other bite-sized raw vegetables (chopped avocado, broccoli, cauliflower, bell pepper, etc.) (optional)
- bite-sized cooked vegetables (beans, corn, peas, chopped artichoke hearts, etc.) (optional)
- nuts (pistachios, walnuts, pecans, etc.) (optional)
- seeds (pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, etc.) (optional)
- bite-sized pieces cheese (diced or shredded cheddar, feta, jack, etc.) (optional)
- chopped hard-boiled egg (optional)
- crouton (seasoned croutons, tiny crackers, Chinese noodles, etc.) (optional)
- salad dressing (Italian, Thousand Island, Ranch, etc.)
- In a salad bowl, toss together chopped lettuce, tomato, and cucumber, sliced carrot and green onions, quartered radishes, and any desired optional items.
- OR: Arrange chopped lettuce on salad plates; then top with chopped tomato and cucumber, sliced carrot and green onions, quartered radishes, and any desired optional items.
- Serve with salad dressing on the side.
I did this recipe up as a salad bar, since I really wanted my guests to include what they most enjoyed eating! Besides the regular ingredients listed, I included peas, corn, cauliflower, broccoli, red & yellow bell peppers, pistachios, almonds, pumpkin seeds, hard-cooked eggs, colby-jack cheese, sharp cheddar, feta, AND some homemade winter & cracked wheat croutons, as well as an aray of dressings! A bit of work (though enjoyable) & a big success, with the final bonus ~ The 2 of us had healthy salads for several days! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in the current Pick-A-Chef]