Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
From “The Africa Cookbook Tastes of a Continent” by Jessica B. Harris Algeria. The liver can be speared on toothpicks as khemia, an appetizer nibble.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 lb calf liver, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy skillet, add the spices, and cook them over low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the water and continue to cook until half the water has evaporated.
- Add the liver and continue to cook for an additional 20 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and add the vinegar, stirring to mix it in .
- Return the skillet to the heat and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Serve hot with white rice.