Be adverturous and try it. The Cajun spice mix adds a distinctive warm, smoky flavor to fish. Note: The original recipe called for red snapper, which is divine, btw, but not always accessable and even expensive. Great for brunch.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Cheddar Cheese Grits
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups uncooked regular grits
- 6 ounces chopped raw shrimp
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons sliced green onions, plus additional for garnish
- 2 tablespoons diced tomatoes (cut out the seeds)
- 1 teaspoon freshly chopped cilantro
- 4 slices cooked bacon, chopped
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Snapper and Shrimp
- 1For the cheese grits:.
- 2Bring water for grits to a boil and lightly season with salt. Add grits and chopped shrimp, reduce heat and cook until grits are soft, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in butter, green onions, tomatoes, cilantro, bacon and cheese; keep covered in a warm place.
- 3For the fish:.
- 4Dry the fish with paper toweling and coat both sides with Cajun spice mix. (Note: I find bring the fish to room temperature helps the seasoning mix adhere better.).
- 5On the stovetop, heat the oil and butter in a large nonstick saute pan. When it becomes very hot, saute the shrimp only until they turn pink; remove shrimp to a platter.
- 6In the same pan (adding additional oil and butter), sear each side of the fish. (When you place the fillet into the pan, leave it undisturbed for a couple of minutes to allow the seasoning to cook into the surface of the fish.) Cook until golden brown. (Please take care to avoid overcooking.).
- 7Divide among plates the grits by placing in the middle, then position a fish fillet on top. Top with a shrimp. Garnish liberally with green onions.
Browse Our Top Cajun Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cajun Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cajun Fish and Shrimp over Bacon Cheddar Cheese Grits
Serving Size: 1 (537 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 651.3
- Calories from Fat 284
- Total Fat 31.5 g
- Saturated Fat 13.0 g
- Cholesterol 181.9 mg
- Sodium 603.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 46.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: