Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is from the July 2005 issue of Bon Appetit. If you like potato salad and Caesar salad you are going to love this one!
- 3 rolled anchovies over capers
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 large red onion, peeled
- 2 lbs baby red potatoes
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Process anchovies and garlic in small food processor. (I used a hand held stick kind.) Add 2 tablespoons oil and next 4 ingredients; process until smooth. Add mayonnaise and blend. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cut onion into 1-inch cubes and thread onto metal skewers. Brush with remaining oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill until lightly charred and soft, turning occasionally for even grilling, about 12 minutes. (I used a George Foreman grill for this as it was raining and didn't want to mess with the gas grill in the rain.)Cool. Remove onion cubes from skewers and place in large bowl.
- Cover potatoes with water and bring to a boil in large pot. Reduce heat to medium-high and boil until just tender, about 15 minutes. Drain; cool.
- Cut potatoes into wedges. Add potatoes and cheese to bowl with onion. Pour dressing over all and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper.
- For serving, line a large plate with Romaine lettuce leaves and spoon salad into center.
I made this as soon as I received my Bon Appetit, too. I didn't grill the onions and just diced a sweet onion. I also halved all the dressing amounts except the mayo and found the taste and consistency were just fine.