Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe is from a Pilsbury Fast and Healthy Cooking book I bougt by the checkstand in the grocery store. I love this soup and you can add thilnlgs you like to it. It is really good on a chilly winter evening...or anytime!!
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cups chopped green cabbage (I use the Savoy because it cooks a little faster and still retains the wonderful cabbage flavor)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 (15 ounce) canof sliced carrots, drained
- 4 1⁄2 cups hot water
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked medium egg noodles
- 2 teaspoons chicken flavor instant bouillon
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 slices low-sodium bacon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- cider vinegar, if desired
- Spray Dutch Oven with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add oil, heat over mediium high until hot then add cabbage and onion and cook 6 minutes or until onion is transparent and slightly borwn stirring frequently.
- Add water, noodles, bouillion and beans. Mix well.
- Add drained carrots.
- Bring to boil then reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place several layers of microwave safe paper towels on microwave safe plate. Place bacon slices in single layer on towels; cover with additional towels. Microwave on HIGH for 4-4 1/2 minutes or until crisp.
- Blot to remove any excess grease.
- Remove from paper towels then cool slightly, crumble and set aside.
- Remove dutch oven from heat and stir in salt.
- Ladle soup into bowls.
- Sprinkle each serving with bacon.
- Pass vinegar to be stirred into soup if desired (we always do and it makes the soup taste wonderful if you don't use too much).