1/11 Photos of Cabbage Rolls / Golabki / Stuffed Cabbage
3 hrs 30 mins
This is a hearty traditional Polish dish consisting of boiled cabbage leaves stuffed with ground beef, chopped onions, and rice or barley, baked in a spicy tomato sauce with sliced carrots for sweetness and mushrooms for heartiness. I remember eating only the stuffing when I was young. Now I eat it all and my kids cabbage they don't want. It's worth all the work! You can cook stove top very low heat, I use a rack on the bottom of the pot then layer the rolls, to prevent burning! Off the top of my head I'd say it makes about 20 rolls (give or take). Smacznego!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 head cabbage, center core removed
- 2 -3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 lb ground veal
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 1 cup tomato paste
- 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups water or 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 16 ounces mushrooms, quartered
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1Parboil cabbage in a large pot, removing leafs as they fall off into the water and are tender.
- 2Cook till all leaves are tender, but not ripping apart; usually 15.
- 3Run under cold water and drain.
- 4Cut the thick membrane off back of each leaf.
- 5While cabbage is cooking saute onion in butter until lightly browned.
- 6Put all the uncooked meat into a large mixing bowl add eggs.
- 7Add the sauteed onions.
- 8Next add salt pepper, celery salt, parsley, nutmeg, and Worcestershire sauce along with the cooked rice.
- 9Mix thoroughly.
- 10Lay out leaves and depending upon their size, place 2-3 tablespoons of meat mixture on the wider side.
- 11Roll leaf up and over meat, tuck in sides of leaf, and continue to roll to use all leaves and stuffing.
- 12Place rolls, seam down into a greased roasting pan.
- 13Then layer carrots and mushrooms over cabbage.
- 14Mix together the tomato paste, crushed tomatoes, water and brown sugar and pour evenly over all the rolls.
- 15Season with salt and pepper to taste and bay leaves.
- 16Cover roaster and bake 325°F for 2- 21/2 hours.
- 17Half way through baking check to make sure there's enough liquid; additional water can be added.
- 18To serve, spoon sauce over rolls.
- 19Serve with mashed potatoes!
- 20Check my recipes for garlic mashed potatoes. http://www.food.com/recipe-finder/all/garlic-masshed-potatoes?chef=58104.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cabbage Rolls / Golabki / Stuffed Cabbage
Serving Size: 1 (585 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 492.8
- Calories from Fat 213
- Total Fat 23.7 g
- Saturated Fat 9.4 g
- Cholesterol 144.1 mg
- Sodium 698.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.9 g
- Sugars 10.2 g
- Protein 33.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: