Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
I found a similar recipe in a magazine....made my own changes and we love it!! When I make it...I make 2 small ones and freeze before baking. Just defrost it and bake as usual.
- 907.18 g ground beef (93% lean)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed and chopped
- 170.09 g can tomato paste
- 219.70 g can Mexican tomato sauce
- 473.18 ml water
- 9.85 ml thyme
- 9.85 ml dill
- 4.92 ml rubbed sage
- 473.18 ml cooked rice
- 1 medium head cabbage, shredded
- 236.59 ml sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and garlic until beef no longer pink.
- Stir in rice.
- In a large bowl, mix tomato products and spices with water.
- Pour 2 cups of tomato mixture into beef mixture. and stir.
- In a 13 x 9 pan (coated with veggie spray) layer 1/3 of cabbage then 1/2 meat mixture.
- Repeat layers (ending with cabbage).
- Pour tomato mixture evenly on top and bake covered at 375 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Uncover and sprinkle with cheese, bake 10 more minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.