Recipe by katie in the UP
I found a similar recipe in a magazine....made my own changes and we love it!! When I make it...I make 2 small ones and freeze before baking. Just defrost it and bake as usual.
- 2 lbs ground beef (93% lean)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed and chopped
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (7 3/4 ounce) can Mexican tomato sauce
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 2 teaspoons dill
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 medium head cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and garlic until beef no longer pink.
- Stir in rice.
- In a large bowl, mix tomato products and spices with water.
- Pour 2 cups of tomato mixture into beef mixture. and stir.
- In a 13 x 9 pan (coated with veggie spray) layer 1/3 of cabbage then 1/2 meat mixture.
- Repeat layers (ending with cabbage).
- Pour tomato mixture evenly on top and bake covered at 375 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Uncover and sprinkle with cheese, bake 10 more minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.