Recipe by Ellen Brody
This is a thick and hearty soup. Everyone loves it! The cabbage really makes the soup. I got it from The Best Of Country Cooking (second edition) cook book. I have shared this recipe many times because it is simple yet delicious, especially on a cold day.
Top Review by Evie*
This was delicious, I wasnt sure what the 'liquid reserved' for the tomatoes meant in the directions, I just used the whole tin of tomatoes anyway, and I added a chopped red onion. Was a filling tasty dinner, loved the addition of the kidney beans. Thanks for posting. =)
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, undrained
- 1⁄2 head cabbage, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, chopped and liquid added to soup
- 4 cups water
- 4 beef bouillon cubes
- chopped fresh parsley
- In a Dutch oven, brown beef, drain.
- Add all remaining ingredients except parsley.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 1 hour.
- Garnish with parsley.
- *I substitute the celery, tomatoes, and water with a one quart jar of my stewed tomatoes and one jar of water.