Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a thick and hearty soup. Everyone loves it! The cabbage really makes the soup. I got it from The Best Of Country Cooking (second edition) cook book. I have shared this recipe many times because it is simple yet delicious, especially on a cold day.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, undrained
- 1⁄2 head cabbage, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, chopped and liquid added to soup
- 4 cups water
- 4 beef bouillon cubes
- chopped fresh parsley
- In a Dutch oven, brown beef, drain.
- Add all remaining ingredients except parsley.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 1 hour.
- Garnish with parsley.
- *I substitute the celery, tomatoes, and water with a one quart jar of my stewed tomatoes and one jar of water.
This was delicious, I wasnt sure what the 'liquid reserved' for the tomatoes meant in the directions, I just used the whole tin of tomatoes anyway, and I added a chopped red onion. Was a filling tasty dinner, loved the addition of the kidney beans. Thanks for posting. =)
Super easy and super delicious. I might substitute cooked brown rice for the beans next time to make it a "stuffed cabbage"-type soup, but it was excellent with the beans as well. I'm looking forward to having the leftovers for lunch today!
Awesome!! I changed a few things. First I added an chopped onion while frying the ground beef. Then 4 cups beef broth & 2 cups water, 2 beef bouillon cubes. Doubled all spices plus 2 T. worcestershire sauce & 3/4 head of cabbage. I also omitted the beans to keep it low carb. So hearty and good! will make often.