Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
If you are using salted pistachios then omit the 1/4 teaspoons salt. This cake is even better if made a day ahead, cover and store at room temperature. You can also bake the cake in an 11 x 7-inch glass baking dish lined with parchment paper, and increase the cardamon slightly. Make this cake, it's buttery fantastic!
- 236.59 ml shelled pistachios (heaping)
- 236.59 ml flour
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml cardamom
- 1.23 ml salt
- 118.29 ml full-fat milk
- 3.69 ml vanilla
- 177.44 ml butter, softened (no substitutes!)
- 295.73 ml sugar (can use less)
- 3 large eggs
- Set oven to 350 degrees (second-lowest oven rack).
- Butter a 13 x 9-inch baking dish, line bottom with parchment paper, then dust with flour, shaking out any excess flour out of pan.
- Pulse the pistachio nuts in a food processor until finely ground (careful not to over-grind them into a paste).
- Add in 1 cup flour, baking powder, cardamom and salt; pulse one or two times to combine.
- In a cup whisk together the milk and vanilla.
- In a bowl beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until fluffy (about 4-5 minutes, this is important, must beat/mix for 4-5 minutes!).
- Add in eggs one at a time beating well after each addition.
- Alternately add in the pistachio/flour mixture and milk on low speed of mixer JUST until combined.
- Transfer the batter into prepared baking dish.
- Bake for about 20-22 minutes, or until cake tests done.
- Cool for about 10 minutes, then run a knife around edges of cake to loosen, invert onto a rack, or slice the cake from the pan.
- Serve warm or room temperature.
Yum! This cake turned out fantastic! I prepared it as my husband's birthday cake... I had big shoes to fill since his grandmother's pistachio has been his life long favorite. Grandma is no longer with us and I do not have her recipe... :( I wanted to make a pistachio cake in remembrance of her, but knowing that I couldn't make HER cake I also wanted to be careful and put out a good product that would still honor her memory for his birthday... Success. He loved it! Everyone did... :D<br/><br/>I added a little flare to make it a true birthday cake and made some green (for pistachios)cream cheese frosting. And decorated it... This is a thin cake, it doesn't rise much... It has a fantastic texture. It would make a GREAT layer cake!!! I will be doing this next time. I intend to make two of them, frost and stack! ;)
So good! And made with real pistachios, not some pudding powder. The cardamom fit well with the nuts. It was so buttery and delicious. I made it in a layer cake with pistachio/almond ice cream and an almond flavored whipped cream icing. Because of the butter, it was a bit hard to cut when frozen, but it went well with the ice cream. I've also made it with just the almond whipped cream, served with ice cream on the side. It was much easier to eat.
This is a real pistachio cake- that delivered the flavor I was looking for for sure. I made it with a white chocolate mousse filling and an almond butter cream and it was out of this world! I made it for a friend's bday and I got 3 orders for other cakes! Tender crumb, and very flavorful!