Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
If you are using salted pistachios then omit the 1/4 teaspoons salt. This cake is even better if made a day ahead, cover and store at room temperature. You can also bake the cake in an 11 x 7-inch glass baking dish lined with parchment paper, and increase the cardamon slightly. Make this cake, it's buttery fantastic!
Top Review by 975468
Yum! This cake turned out fantastic! I prepared it as my husband's birthday cake... I had big shoes to fill since his grandmother's pistachio has been his life long favorite. Grandma is no longer with us and I do not have her recipe... :( I wanted to make a pistachio cake in remembrance of her, but knowing that I couldn't make HER cake I also wanted to be careful and put out a good product that would still honor her memory for his birthday... Success. He loved it! Everyone did... :D<br/><br/>I added a little flare to make it a true birthday cake and made some green (for pistachios)cream cheese frosting. And decorated it... This is a thin cake, it doesn't rise much... It has a fantastic texture. It would make a GREAT layer cake!!! I will be doing this next time. I intend to make two of them, frost and stack! ;)
- 1 cup shelled pistachios (heaping)
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup full-fat milk
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened (no substitutes!)
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar (can use less)
- 3 large eggs
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees (second-lowest oven rack).
- Butter a 13 x 9-inch baking dish, line bottom with parchment paper, then dust with flour, shaking out any excess flour out of pan.
- Pulse the pistachio nuts in a food processor until finely ground (careful not to over-grind them into a paste).
- Add in 1 cup flour, baking powder, cardamom and salt; pulse one or two times to combine.
- In a cup whisk together the milk and vanilla.
- In a bowl beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until fluffy (about 4-5 minutes, this is important, must beat/mix for 4-5 minutes!).
- Add in eggs one at a time beating well after each addition.
- Alternately add in the pistachio/flour mixture and milk on low speed of mixer JUST until combined.
- Transfer the batter into prepared baking dish.
- Bake for about 20-22 minutes, or until cake tests done.
- Cool for about 10 minutes, then run a knife around edges of cake to loosen, invert onto a rack, or slice the cake from the pan.
- Serve warm or room temperature.