Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Super yummy butternut squash side dish -- one of my favorites! You must try this!
Make and share this Butternut Squash Home Fries by Hungry Girl Hg recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed into 1-inch cubes
- 1⁄2 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth, fat free
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- Sauté onion with olive oil in a pan over low heat for 1 to 2 minutes, until translucent.
- Add bell pepper and cook for 1 minute.
- Add squash and stir. Raise heat to medium and add all spices. Mix well.
- Cook for about 7 minutes, until squash starts to soften.
- Raise heat to high and add broth. Bring to a boil. After 30 seconds of boiling, reduce heat to low.
- Simmer until broth evaporates, stirring often.
- Cover pan and continue to cook for 3 minutes, or until squash is tender. Eat up!
I drove to a restaurant supply to get the crinkle cutter for $4.00. After reading the reviews, I followed recipe exactly with one variation. I cut my fries thin and thick to see the difference. I cooked them at 420 degrees for 20 minutes, flipped them and lowered the temp to 400 to keep from burning the thinner ones. I found that the thinner ones cooked and browned better, but neither crisped up very well. The flavor is sweet, similar to sweet potato fries. They are good, but a little sweet for ketchup for me. Considering the benefit of less carbs, I give them a thumbs up!