Butternut Squash Fries
photo by Marg (CaymanDesigns)
- Ready In:
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Peel and de-seed your butternut squash. Slice squash in half.
- Cut it up into french fry shapes.
- Place on a cookie sheet sprayed with non-stick spray. Cover lightly with kosher salt.
- Place tray in your pre-heated oven and bake for 40 minutes or so, flipping halfway through baking process.
- Fries are done when they are starting to brown on the edges and get crispy.
- Serve with ketchup or syrup if desired.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is crazy good! No leftovers good. I was worried at first because I didn't have any ketchup, but didn't miss it. <br/><br/>I DID cook on a raised rack over a baking sheet, so they didn't stick to the pan.. Covered the pan with foil to make cleanup easy.<br/><br/>Next time I make this, I will pile them on a plate and try melting Parmesan or asiago cheese on top.<br/><br/>To reduce the mess from spraying oil/ sprinkling salt, I tossed the squash in a bowl with seasoned salt and olive oil to evenly coat everything. (this also lets you control the amount of ingredients so not too salty/oily)
Delicious taste for DD1 (5 years old) DD2 (15 months) and I, however they did not crisp like fries. I think it does depend on the pan somewhat. As that was the case I had with two pans of sweet potato fries once. I used 2 steel pans this time I think. Instead of kosher salt I used sea salt, organic extra virgin olive oil instead of garbage spray. We loved these without ketchup (had none on hand though) also no syrup either alone they were yummy but just like cooked squash which we like.
Very nice recipe. Made these at the last minute to go with organic turkey burgers for my 4 yr old daughter and I. Followed recipe except used olive oil instead of cooking spray and sea salt. Taste was very very good. Next time my daughter wants garlic powder on them(she loves garlic). We didnt use ketchup as they were good enough on their own. Thanks for sharing a quick, easy, healthy recipe.