Hungry Girl Kung Pow Chicken
photo by mliss29
- Ready In:
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast (cubed)
- 1 cup mushroom (cut in chunks)
- 1 cup bell pepper (cut in chunks red and or or green)
- 3⁄4 cup celery (chopped)
- 3⁄4 cup onion (chopped)
- 8 ounces water chestnuts (drained or sliced)
- 4 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 4 teaspoons splenda no calorie artificial sweetener, granulated
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons dry-roasted unsalted peanuts (chopped)
- 2 teaspoons garlic (minced)
- 2 teaspoons red chili sauce (add more for extra spice!)
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- Begin by combining 2 tablespoons of cold water with soy sauce, vinegar, Splenda, cornstarch and chili sauce -- stir well until all ingredients have dissolved. Set sauce aside.
- Spray a large pan or wok with nonstick spray, and bring to medium-high heat.
- Add chicken, mushrooms, bell peppers, celery, onion, garlic and 2 tablespoons of water. Stirring occasionally, cook for about 5 minutes.
- Once chicken is almost fully cooked but still tender, add peanuts and water chestnuts to the pan or wok.
- Raise heat to high, give sauce a stir, and add it to the pan/wok as well. Mix entire dish until all ingredients are coated in sauce, and the sauce is hot and thick. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Enjoyed making this recipe ~ I'm a chopper, what can I say! Used a red bell pepper & served this colorful chicken dish over a mix of rice & peas! Considering the amount of sodium already in the ingredients, I omitted any S&P at the end & cut back the red chili sauce to 1 teaspoon! Loved it, & thanks much for sharing! [Tagged, made & reviewed in 1-2-3 Hit Wonders cooking game]
see 1 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>First, I'd like thank everyone who reviews my recipes. I can't thank each of you personally although I try. <br /><br />I Live in central Virginia, 5 miles from where I grew up, w/ my Husband of 17 years and my beautiful daughter. She is 10 and is the joy of my life. We waited for a long time to be blessed with a child and it is the best thing I've ever done. Be a mother. <br /><br />I love to cook. We eat very healthy, after a life altering experience at 31 I've been on a journey to be healthy and lose weight. I've lost 50 lbs and have kept most all of it off for the last 9 years. There are always fluxs, durring stressful times, but I've mananged to keep most of the weight off. My best advice to anyone trying to lose weight is to remember that it didn't get there overnight and it won't come off overnight. I've never said I was on a diet. It is a lifestyle.</p> <p>When Zaar first changed to Food I took a short hiatus. I was going thru a very hard time in life and was completely unmotivated to do anything and thus gave up my hosting duties on Holiday Tag. But now with a new perspective I'm hoping to get back to cooking and tagging.</p> <p><br /><br />Things I've participated in..... <br /><img src=http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Participation.jpg alt=/ /> <br /><img src=http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Iwasadopted.jpg alt=/ /> <br /><img src=http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/ParticipationBanner.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /> <br /><a href=http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/tgifford/Game%20Room%20Banners/Football%20Pool%202008/?action=view?t=FootballPoolWk4.gif target=_blank><img src=http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/tgifford/Game%20Room%20Banners/Football%20Pool%202008/FootballPoolWk4.gif border=0 alt=Photobucket /></a> <br /><br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/PACfall08partic.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/IWasAdoptedfall08.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /> <br /><img src=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/annacia/pt-shutterbug-banner-1.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/PAC08Main.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/adoptedspring08.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Ingredients/Kaffee-sticker.jpg alt=/ /><img src=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/derf16/food%20photography%20series/MuffinLovesticker.jpg alt=/ /><img src=http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Ingredients/Other/photo-swap-7sticky.jpg alt=/ /> <img src=http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/vseward/Bevy/officialmemberofthebevtaggame.jpg alt=/ /><img src=http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/personal/FRENCH-foodfun.jpg alt=/ /><img src=http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/1956/holidaylightssticker.jpg alt=/ /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/untitled.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/200_PACpic.jpg border=0 alt=Photo /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/pacbanner.jpg border=0 alt=Photo /><img src=/ alt= /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/smPACp.jpg border=0 alt=PAC /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Adopted1smp.jpg border=0 alt=Photo /><img src=http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/1535/cheesesticker.jpg alt=/ /> <br /><br />And in honor of my mother and in rememberence of my sister in law. <br /><img src=http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/TasteofYellow.jpg alt=/ /></p>