1/1 Photo of Butternut Squash and Tomatoes for Crock Pot
Kumquat the Cat's friend's Note:
Winter squash and tomatoes are a winning combination. I've combined this with white navy beans and mozzarella cheese to make a complete and inexpensive meal to make ahead in a 2 quart crockpot. Turn on in the morning and by the time you're back from work, voila! There's dinner. This can be assembled the day before and stored in the refrigerator overnight. Please note tip for preparing squash.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 -3 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 large leek, white and light green part, chopped (about 3 cups)
- 1 medium butternut squash, split, scraped, peeled and chopped into 1/2 inch pieces (about 6 cups)
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper (to taste)
- 2 teaspoons herbes de provence
- 1 (15 ounce) can navy beans, drained and rinsed (great white)
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel Tomatoes (14 ounce okay)
- 2 cups lowfat mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 4 slices bacon, cooked until crisp and crumbled (optional, a vegetarian substitute can be used)
- 1Heat oil in non-stick skillet. Add chopped leek and saute for about 5 minutes, or until soft. Mix with butternut squash chunks and add to crockpot. (Tip - half squash with sharp knife, scrape clean with spoon, and heat in 350 degree Fahrenheit oven on baking sheet sprayed with non-stick cooking spray, cut side down, for 15 minutes. Let cool, then peel and cut into chunks).
- 2Add salt and pepper (to taste) and 2 teaspoons herbes de provence.
- 3Top with beans and tomatoes, in that order. Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours. Can be kept warm for up to 2 hours.
- 4Serve topped with mozzarella cheese and sprinkled with crumbled bacon, if desired.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Butternut Squash and Tomatoes for Crock Pot
Serving Size: 1 (494 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 348.0
- Calories from Fat 52
- Total Fat 5.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 5.4 mg
- Sodium 1200.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 17.3 g
- Sugars 7.5 g
- Protein 13.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
herbes de provence
lowfat mozzarella cheese