Prep 1 hr
Cook 8 hrs
Winter squash and tomatoes are a winning combination. I've combined this with white navy beans and mozzarella cheese to make a complete and inexpensive meal to make ahead in a 2 quart crockpot. Turn on in the morning and by the time you're back from work, voila! There's dinner. This can be assembled the day before and stored in the refrigerator overnight. Please note tip for preparing squash.
- 1 -3 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 large leek, white and light green part, chopped (about 3 cups)
- 1 medium butternut squash, split, scraped, peeled and chopped into 1/2 inch pieces (about 6 cups)
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper (to taste)
- 2 teaspoons herbes de provence
- 1 (15 ounce) can navy beans, drained and rinsed (great white)
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel Tomatoes (14 ounce okay)
- 2 cups lowfat mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 4 slices bacon, cooked until crisp and crumbled (optional, a vegetarian substitute can be used)
- Heat oil in non-stick skillet. Add chopped leek and saute for about 5 minutes, or until soft. Mix with butternut squash chunks and add to crockpot. (Tip - half squash with sharp knife, scrape clean with spoon, and heat in 350 degree Fahrenheit oven on baking sheet sprayed with non-stick cooking spray, cut side down, for 15 minutes. Let cool, then peel and cut into chunks).
- Add salt and pepper (to taste) and 2 teaspoons herbes de provence.
- Top with beans and tomatoes, in that order. Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours. Can be kept warm for up to 2 hours.
- Serve topped with mozzarella cheese and sprinkled with crumbled bacon, if desired.
I didn't love this. I thought the Rotel tomatoes were overpowering and roasting the squash all day made it flavorless. It wasn't bad, but I wouldn't make it again.
I wanted to like this, expected to like it. Maybe my taste buds were just having an off night? I did substitute Homemade Italian Seasoning rather than herbs de provence.
Awesome! Loved this. It was pretty easy preperation and I left it in the crockpot for 8 hours. I could eat this once a week. The only change I made was I didn't use the herbes de provence. It was sooo good.