Prep 1 hr
Cook 55 mins
I love a good pumpkin bread, but what I love even more is experimenting with different squashes in my breads. This can certainly be made with pumpkin, or acorn, or other squash. I planted butternut this year and had a bumper squash and I have a pear tree and together they made a beautiful bread! The addition of the pepitas (pumpkin seeds) adds an amazing depth to the bread.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, organic
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1 cup sugar, pure cane organic
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup, pure
- 1 1⁄2 cups butternut squash, pureed
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 pear
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease one bread pan.
- Mix together all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- In a separate smaller bowl, mix together wet ingredients except the pear.
- Peel and chop the pear in largish pieces.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until everything is incorporated, but do not over mix.
- Add the pears in and fold carefully.
- Pour into pan, sprinkle pepitas over the top and bake for 45-55 minutes at 350 degrees.