1/2 Photos of Buttermilk Loaf
This terrific recipe is from Roben Ryberg's, "The Gluten-Free Kitchen". This is her favorite loaf and mine as well. You can have this loaf of bread on your table in 35 minutes start to finish. But most importantly, it taste's great! No store-bought wheat-free/gluten-free loaf that I've ever tried comes even close to this. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk, room temperature
- 1 packet yeast (about 1 tablespoon)
- 3/4 cup potato starch (or potato starch flour, but not potato flour, it's too heavy)
- 1 1/4 cups cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup oil (I use canola and/or safflower oil)
- shortening, for generously greasing the baking pan (I use spectrum non-hydrogenated)
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Optimally, have the buttermilk between 80 degrees F and no warmer than 105 degrees F.
- 3This is important for the yeast to activate.
- 4Too low a temperature and it won't activate.
- 5Too high and it will kill the yeast.
- 6In the measuring cup in which you've measured the buttermilk, add the yeast to the milk; stir to dissolve the yeast and set aside for now.
- 7In a medium bowl, combine all the dry ingredients.
- 8To the dry ingredients, slowly add the oil (stirring all the while) and then slowly add the milk/yeast mixture (also while stirring).
- 9Mix well; dough will look wet, thick, and pasty.
- 10Place dough into your well-greased 9- x 4-inch loaf pan.
- 11Wet hands and smooth out the top of the dough, then make an indentation down the center lengthwise of the loaf.
- 12I use the back of a wet spoon for the indent.
- 13Bake for 25-28 minutes.
- 14Loaf will just begin to brown.
- 15Test for doneness with a long toothpick, much as you would for a cake.
- 16Cool briefly before removing from pan.
- 17Finish cooling on a cooling rack.
- 18Refrigerate or freeze extra servings.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Buttermilk Loaf
Serving Size: 1 (686 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1765.1
- Calories from Fat 522
- Total Fat 58.0 g
- Saturated Fat 8.9 g
- Cholesterol 12.2 mg
- Sodium 2923.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 290.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.0 g
- Sugars 44.0 g
- Protein 21.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: