Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
Start with a mix, and end with a deliciously different Angel Food. A good friend passed this recipe on to me. I used walnuts, and it sent the taste over the top !
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 (18 ounce) package angel food cake mix
- 1 cup toasted pecans, chopped
- 1 cup sifted icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons soft butter
- 2 tablespoons cream
- Over med. high heat, melt the sugar in a saucepan,stirring constantly.
- WARNING: The hot sugar will be overheated at this point and will almost explode when you add the water. Be very careful, keeping your face back, and adding the water carefully.
- Add the water, and boil for 7 min's,remove from heat and set aside.
- Prepare the cake according to directions on the box, but substitute 1/4 cup of the water with 1/4 cup of the prepared sugar syrup.
- Fold the toasted pecans into the batter.
- Without spraying or greasing the pan, pour the cake batter directly into the Angel Food pan.
- Bake for about 35-40 min's, then remove from pan to cool.
- For icing, beat the icing sugar,butter, cream and remaining syrup together, sprad over the cake.
- You can add more icing sugar or cream to make a nice consistency to spread over the cake.
I made this recipe exactly as written with one deviation; I used only half the icing mix. Great recipe! This is one of the best angel food cake I have eaten. I am not big on sweets, but when I want them - I want them. This cake was light and airy and the icing did not overwhelm that texture at all.