Recipe by aggiebarnes
Recipe found in Quick & Easy Magazine. Total cost per serving is just under $1.00. To make this even more budget friendly, use only necessary amount of lemon peel and save the rest of the lemon for another recipe; use your own homemade chicken broth.
Top Review by Ginny Sue
This was very good, and worth trying whether or not you are on a budget. The chicken was very tender, and the combination of flavor with the rice was perfect with just a hint of heat from the cayenne.
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 6 small chicken thighs, skin and fat removed (1 1/2 lbs)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄3 teaspoons salt
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 lemon
- 1 1⁄2 cups long grain white rice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 14 1⁄2 ounces chicken broth
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 10 ounces frozen peas
- 1⁄3 cup pimento stuffed olive, drained and chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In a nonstick 12" skillet, warm oil over med heat until hot. Add chicken and sprinkle with black pepper and 1/4 t salt. Add onion and green pepper to skillet. Saute, turning chicken once and stirring vegetable mixture occasionally, until chicken is browned and vegetables are tender, about 10 minute.
- Meanwhile use a vegetable peeler to remove a 3" strip of peel from the lemon. Cut lemon into wedges for garnish.
- Stir lemon peel, rice, garlic, cayenne, broth, water and remaining 1/2 t salt into mixture in skillet and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 20 minute.
- Stir in frozen peas; cover and cook 5 minute Remove skillet from heat and stir in olives. Spoon into a serving dish and garnish with lemon wedges.